RIGHT TO LIFE ACTION COALITION OF OHIO
August 28, 2020
A clearer light and darkness contrast
could not have been made more succinctly this week, as the two major political parties state their case for why they should be
put in a position of great authority.
Two historic firsts occurred this week which should help
inform your pro-life vote!
NEWS AND VIEWS
1. The Republican National Convention was a week of firsts-the first time a citizenship naturalization ceremony was broadcast as part of a convention, the first time a nominee gave their acceptance speech from the Rose Garden of the White House, and a couple of very significant firsts: the first time a pro-life activist or advocate spoke at the Convention (see the comments of Abby Johnson and of Sister Diedre Byrne), and they didn't wrangle and fight an internecine war over the platform!
The convention chose to keep the 2016 platform, which includes strong language against abortion, and a commitment to defund Planned Parenthood!
2. Moving forward on that platform commitment appears to be very important to our 45th President's administration. Just last week, the Trump State Department announced the implementation of the Protecting Life in Global Health Assistance (PLGHA) policy, which would ban access to global health assistance funds coming from the United States to organizations which promote or provide abortions, including International Planned Parenthood and Marie Stopes International.
This puts an approximate $140 million dollar hole in these organizations' annual revenues. Check another box on the list of commitments made, commitments kept regarding defending unborn life by the Trump administration!
3. What do you do when your fervent supporters get "woke" enough to realize you are part of the problem? If you are Planned Parenthood, facing a backlash from supporters who are engaged in the Black Lives Matter movement, you quietly try to distance yourself from your racist, eugenicist founder Margaret Sanger. The abortion giant has suddenly stopped giving out their annual "highest honor" award named for Sanger. Now, if they would just stop providing abortions, which wreak genocide on minority populations, then people might be convinced they really do believe that black lives matter.
4. It seems another purported "pro-life" personage seems to be failing to understand what a consistent pro-life position really is. This week Msgr. Paul Garrity of Boston's Sacred Heart Parish has come out supporting pro-abortion candidate Joe Biden for President, and is encouraging his parishioners and fellow Catholics to vote for Biden as the "moral choice" in the election! Biden supports prohibiting states from enacting pro-life laws, and wants a federal abortion law
to codify Roe. If this is "pro-life", then the priest has just admitted that he is pro-abortion! So far, the Archdiocese of Boston has not issued a response to Garrity's public statements.
5. Having a pro-life, pro-family national government really can make a difference in the culture. Take Hungary for example. With the government of Prime Minister Viktor Orban focusing on promoting families and opposing abortion, the country has seen a 5% increase in the number of births this year alone, along with over 2000 more marriages this year as compared with 2019. Incentivizing family formation and stability (as Hungary has done with a $33,000 "loan" to married couples which is forgiven if they give birth to three children) is paying dividends, as Hungary's numbers are the envy of Europe. Orban himself made it clear what Hungary is all about, as he states that leftists are "experimenting with a godless universe, with the rainbow reshaping of families, with migration and with open societies. Meanwhile, the peoples of Central Europe are in the process of restoring to their rightful place the time-honored instincts for life, the liberating power of Christianity, the honor of work, national pride and duty towards our parents and children." Pray this effort continues successfully, and becomes a model for the nations!
Each installment of the Friday Five will bring thumbnail profiles
of key policymakers and committees.
United States Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit Judge John B. Nalbandian - Judge Nalbandian was nominated by President Donald Trump in January of 2018 to the Sixth Circuit, to fill the seat vacated by Judge John Rogers, who took senior status. His nomination was reported from the Senate Judiciary Committee on an 11-10 vote in April of 2018 and his nomination was confirmed by the full Senate in May on a vote of 53-45. Nalbandian, was an attorney in private practice with the Cincinnati firm of Taft, Stettinius & Hollister. He served on the Board of Directors of the State Justice Institute after being appointed to that position by President Barack Obama in 2010, leaving that post when taking the Sixth Circuit Bench. He had previously been appointed as a special justice of the Kentucky Supreme Court in 2007. Judge Nalbandian earned a Bachelor of Science degree from the Wharton School of Business of the University of Pennsylvania, and his Juris Doctor (JD) from the University of Virginia School of Law. Nalbandian has also been a member of the judicial originalist organization The Federalist Society since 1991, and represents one of a growing number of judges with connections to the Federalist Society being appointed to the Circuit Courts under President Donald Trump.
NOTE: A sad report out of Columbus this last week as an unborn baby was a casualty in a crime in the Linden area of the city. The 35 week developed baby died after his mother, a 15 year old girl, was shot in the abdomen in a drive-by shooting. Columbus Police deputy chief Tim Becker stated "this young man didn't even have the opportunity to be given a name yet because he was killed just weeks before he would have been born naturally", and Columbus City Council President Shannon Hardin released a statement that said in part "We must take back our community and demand that this violence stops. To anyone out there considering violence, enough is enough. Think of the impact on families, their pain..."
I can't help but feel the irony, and wonder if the comments would be the same, if that same 15 year old girl lost her developing unborn baby to the abortionist's trade. Please pray for this girl for healing and restoration, and for city leaders both in Columbus and throughout Ohio, that the scales would fall off of their eyes, and that they would see that the taking of an unborn human life is equally tragic, equally evil, whether done by a drive-by shooter, or a fly-in abortionist.
Right to Life of Greater Cincinnati is a proud member organization of the