Contact Representative to Protect Those With Pro-Life Convictions
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, July 12, 2016 (Cincinnati, OH) – From Family Research Council:
Paul Ryan, the Speaker of the House, has announced that this Wednesday, July 13, the House will vote on the Conscience Protection Act (S. 304, “CPA”) to stop government discrimination against pro-lifers who object to being forced to participate in abortion. We urge you to call your representative to vote YES on this bill.
President Obama’s Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has refused to uphold the federal law known as the Weldon Amendment, which bars federal funds from being used by the federal government or even states to discriminate against pro-life Americans. Two years ago, the state of California mandated that all employee health plans cover abortions, including policies provided by churches and religious organizations.
Recently, HHS finally responded to complaints from California churches by refusing to enforce federal law. Pro-life healthcare workers who have been forced to participate in abortions have also filed complaints with the Office of Civil Rights at HHS, but Obama’s HHS has repeatedly ignored and refused to investigate these clear violations of federal law.
Since HHS has dragged its feet and is now ignoring federal law, CPA is necessary to enable victims of government discrimination for their pro-life stance to pursue legal action against the state for violating their consciences.
Conscience is about choice. Health-care professionals should not be forced to engage in abortion against their will, and that includes churches and others who purchase health insurance. CPA is about basic fairness for everyone and is a key pro-life priority.
It is time for the people’s House to act to defend our rights of conscience as pro-lifers! Please call your Congressman (202.224.3121) now to vote YES this week on the Conscience Protection Act (S. 304). Here’s how:
1) Call the Capitol Switchboard at 202.224.3121, press 2 for the U.S. House, then enter your zip code and it will connect you to your representative.
2) After identifying yourself as a constituent, tell the staffer who answers your call: “Please tell Representative ____________ to vote YES this week on the Conscience Protection Act (S. 304), “CPA.“
3) You can also add: “I support CPA because:
– We need CPA to stop California’s illegal and discriminatory abortion mandate.
– CPA will ensure that the federal government and states cannot discriminate against pro-life health care providers and even churches which object to abortion.
– Since Obama’s HHS has chosen to ignore federal law, pro-life health care providers should be able to sue in court for violating their consciences.
Thank you for making your voice heard!