Senate Civil Justice Committee Reschedules Vote Again to This Wednesday
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, May 2, 2016 (Cincinnati, OH) – Due to concerned citizens’ action, the Ohio Senate Civil Justice Committee again did not vote the suspect end of life bill–S.B. 165, Ohio Medical Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment (MOLST)–out of committee last week! Pressure is on to do so early this coming Wednesday, May 4th, because the legislative session is nearly over.
This dangerous end of life bill will put the foot in the door for groups like the Hemlock Society (now called Compassion and Choices) and other pro-death groups, and pave the way for legalization of assisted suicide in Ohio.
“Even more concerns are coming to light with Senate Bill 165, such as lack of informed consent for patients and no clear definition of ‘terminal,'” said Paula Westwood, Executive Director, Right to Life of Greater Cincinnati, on behalf of the coalition opposing Ohio MOLST. “End of life choices cannot be sacrificed to presumed efficiency and reduced to a simple problematic checklist.”
It is up to the Senate Civil Justice Committee to stop Senate Bill 165 from going further in the legislative process.
TAKE ACTION: CONTACT THESE OHIO LEADERS NOW to oppose Senate Bill 165, Ohio MOLST:
- Your Ohio State Senator (see contact information at ohiosenate.gov)
- Ohio Senate President Keith Faber
- Senate Civil Justice Committee Chairman, Senator Kevin Bacon
- All members of the Senate Civil Justice Committee
If the Senate Civil Justice Committee does vote on this unnecessary bill, we will inform you of who voted for and against it.
See updated list of key concerns with S.B. 165.
See brochure, Protecting Life Till Last Breath: Oppose S.B. 165 MOLST for more information and talking points.
Those who have testified thus far against Senate Bill 165, MOLST include:
- Nancy Elliott, Chairman, Euthanasia Prevention Coalition U.S.A.
- Jacqui Fetsko, Executive Director, Lake County Right to Life
- Joan Gruber, MA, MSW, LISW-S, Master Renal Social Worker
- Denise Leipold, Executive Director, Right to Life of Northeast Ohio
- Bobby Schindler, President, Terri Schiavo Life & Hope Network
- Barry Sheets, Legislative Consultant, on behalf of Cleveland Right to Life and Ohio ProLife Action
- Paula Westwood, Executive Director, Right to Life of Greater Cincinnati
The growing coalition opposing Ohio S.B. 165, MOLST now includes (in alphabetical order) – to add your organization email gro.efilgnimriffanull@liam:
Advocates for the Family
Citizens for Community Values
Cleveland Lawyers for Life
Cleveland Lutherans for Life
Cleveland Right to Life
Euthanasia Prevention Coalition, U.S.A.
Fostoria/Bascom Area Pro-Life
Fostoria Teens for Life
Geauga County Right to Life
Geauga County Tea Party
Greater Toledo Right to Life
H.E.L.P. Pro-Life Apostolate
Hancock County Right to Life
Henry County Right to Life
Hospice Patients Alliance
Lake County Right to Life
Life Issues Institute
Lima & Allen County Right to Life
National Black ProLife Coalition
Northeast Ohio Values Voters
Ohio Pro-Life Action
Putnam County Right to Life
Right to Life of Greater Cincinnati
Right to Life of Northeast Ohio
Terri Schiavo Life & Hope Foundation
Tiffin Right to Life
Warren County Right to Life
What’s Right/What’s Left Ministries